Tuesday, August 2, 2011

2011 U.S.K.S.F. Tournament July 29 - 30

Day 1 - Weigh-In : Morning of July 29th 2011 at 2:00PM my team and I lined up for the weigh-in. Actually made some awesome friends while waiting in line from The Peaceful Dragon Kung-Fu school in Charlotte NC. After handing in my Medical Form and Lei-Tai Waiver, we went into a room where a doctor checks your blood pressure. Once we pass, we are then video taped while giving a verbal waiver of liability and death. Then our sparring equipment gets checked by the Lei-Tai officials and finally the weigh-in happens. Stripped down to my brief they weighted me at 74.3kg or 163.5lbs.

Day 2 - Fight Day : My Coach Tim, went to the coaches meeting at 10:30AM where they gather information on the fight schedule and weight division's information. There were 7 competitors in my weight division this year, which means that whoever won my match would have to spar someone who hasn't yet had a match. Total matches for 1 competitor in my weight division to get to the Gold medal would total 3 matches in one day.

I was the second match lined up in my weight division. My opponent was coincidently from Montreal, so ironically I was able to understand everything my opponent and his coach were discussing without them realizing it. It was obvious his size was much bigger then mine, it became clear when we were in line for our match and we were watching the fight going on at the moment and he said in french to his coach "Hey, this should be my weight!" when I asked the officials standing next to me what weight division that was, they told me Heavy B which is (76.1kg to 82kg). Just by looking at the guy you knew he was at least 10lbs heavier then me.

Finally the fight we were watching ended and it was now our turn to spar. It was now about 3PM, we both were introduced, then asked by the referee to step onto the platform. We bowed to the Head Masters and then to each other. I then got into my usual fighting stance making sure I keep my back hand to my cheek and my front hand a bit further away from my chest. The referee gave the signal to go and at that exact moment I quickly move forward to bridge the gap while throwing a left right combo. Both of my hits landed but as I ended my right cross, he responded also with a left right combo to the head which rocked me enough to drop my guard. Completely dazed, I lose all focus and posture and return to fighting basics...Haymakers. A lot of my strikes were blocked and responded, a lot of take down attempts where made on both sides but every time they were stuffed. I was able to avoid being pushed off the Lei-Tai this time, something I wasn't able to do last year. When the bell sounded for us to break and return to our corners, I knew he had this round. My Coach and Equipment manager did a great job keeping me ready and fit for the next match, while snapping me out of my sparring 101 techniques. Abi, my equipment manager, brought to my attention that I was swinging too much and my opponent is anticipating them, while Coach Tim was reminding me to use what I know and do best...the low sweeps. Judges call... all 5 judges awarded the round to my opponent.

The Referee calls back the fighters onto the 2 1/2 foot raised platform. Now with more self confidence and a better gameplan, I was ready to face him again. Referee signals us to go, this time he moves in to bridge the gap and throws a left right, in response I bob and weave his punches avoiding both strikes and retaliates with a right over the shoulder hook followed by a left hook. He clintches with me and decides to try a takedown. I was able to reverse it and took him down instead. Referee brought us back to our starting positions and signals the judges a succesfull takedown and a point is awarded to me. Referee then signals for us to continue. Again my opponent decides to bridge but this time with a kick. With my fighting stance, I was easily capable of anticipating his kick and caught it and responded with right cross to the face followed by a takedown attempt which was unsuccessful. He regained his posture and returned a very hard left, right combination, which again he was close enough to clinch and shoot for a takedown, after a bit of sprawling he finally succeeded in his takedown. Referee breaks us up and announces to the judges that a successful takedown was awarded to my opponent. Referee then signals us to continue, again my eager opponent moves in and i successfully avoided them by bob and weave and answered back with a right left hook. He clinches and returns a hook while in clinch, let's go of the clinch to apply more pressure with his other hand. Bell rings, we are called back to our corners. Judges call... 2 to me and 3 to my opponent.

Match was awarded to my opponent... I was certain that round should've gone to me, but unfortunately the judges didn't see it my way... so goes the story of my first loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment